Gluing is not my strongest side, it appears. We decided to create a big “haybox” for a volunteer kitchen in Idomeni camp. Almost one meter across, half meter tall pot was selected as a test unit. And a lot of gluing was in order – a lot of “learning situations”, thus.
Mark 1 and 2.
In the beginning, the idea was to create a rigid (foam + plywood), foldable bottom. Side walls and the top were to be sewn as a loose two-walled bag, with some kind of thermal insulation between walls. Unfortunately, the sewing team somehow could not make it and two attempts of gluing plywood halves to the blocks of foam failed.
I still believe this design is the best (perhaps we would quit the idea of folding base), but to make it work we need our own sewing machine and more experience in gluing big area elements.
Neither the montage glue nor PU foam worked, mostly because I had no clamps to keep the elements together. Putting pressure of 40 kG of water was not enough to succeed.
So, I changed the concept for this time. Due to transport needs, the box itself is divided in two halves. It can stay like that, being put together only when the pot is in, or we can glue it after delivery. Up to the end users.
To prevent melting, the bottom will be protected with a plywood panel.
The cover is from two foam plates, glued with PU foam.
All setup is rather clumsy, but will work. Fir internal filling, recycled SOS blankets will be good enough. Basically anything “warm” will do, as the foam protects the content well enough.
Expected delivery: Friday, 12.02.2016
[su_slider source=”media: 3267,3264,3263,3262,3261,3260,3259,3258,3257,3255,3254,3252,3248,3247,3246,3243,3240,3239,3237,3236,3232,3231,3228,3229,3230″ limit=”31″ link=”image” target=”blank” responsive=”yes”]